Facilities Cost Management Group (FCMG) representatives warned the Hamburg and Farragut school boards that work to make district buildings ADA compliant may uncover sizable costs in the form of electrical, mechanical, fire and safety code issues.
Annette Zeplin said, “To just address ADA issues is one thing, but understand once you start work you open yourself up to inspections that could expose other costly issues.”
In the Oct. 29 meeting the Zeplin and Tim Hoffman from FCMG gave the two boards preliminary estimated costs of making each of the buildings ADA compliant including:
– Hamburg middle school/high school building $940-$990,000.
– Hamburg elementary building (assuming pre-K-6th grade usage) $90-$110,000.
– Farragut vocational ag building $80-$100,000.
– Farragut elementary building (whole building) $790-$880,000.
(two lower levels for 2nd grade or older) $630-$710,000.
– Farragut high school building (not including Home Ec building) $80-$120,000.